What would Thanksgiving or any special autumn or winter meal be without a sweet and slightly spicy pumpkin pie? My recipe is all organic and contains no refined sugar, dairy, or eggs. You and your health will be thankful for that. Use your favorite whole grain non-gluten prepared crust or my easy, scrumptious oat nut crust. You can garnish this creamy classic pie with delicious roasted pecans. Great with Soy Cappuccino Grain Beverage. Both are in my Healthy Holiday Cookbook. Enjoy!
Oat Nut Crust
½ cup whole almonds, rinse
½ cup walnuts, rinse and drain
1 cup rolled oats
3 Tbl. corn oil, unrefined
1 Tbl. apple juice
1/8 tsp. sea salt
3 Tbl. maple syrup or agave
Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.
1. Place nuts on a baking sheet and toast for 10 minutes. Stir. Toast 2 more minutes.
2. Remove, cool, and place in food processor with oats. Pulse to grind into a coarse meal.
3. Add the oil, juice, salt, and sweetener. Process quickly until just mixed.
4. Press this mixture into an oiled 9” pie pan, covering the bottom and coming up the sides about 1-1/2 inches. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
5. Remove and cool in pie pan as you finish preparing the filling.
Pumpkin Pie Filling
2 tablespoons kuzu
or arrowroot powder
½ cup apple juice
⅓ cup maple syrup or agave nectar
2 cups pureed pumpkin (may use canned organic)
1 cup soft water-packed tofu
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla
¼ teaspoon powdered cloves
1 pinch of sea salt
½ cup toasted pecan halves or
pieces for garnish
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Dissolve kuzu or arrowroot powder with 1/4 cup of the apple juice in a small bowl.
3. Blend all ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
4. Pour filling into a prepared pie shell and bake for 45 minutes or until center is firm.
5. Let completely cool before serving. Garnish with toasted pecan halves.